Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Welcome to My Pig Farm!

This little piggy bought a computer, this little piggy went on vacation, this little piggy bought a new couch...and this little piggy squealed until Christmas!


These are my pigs and my pigs are ALWAYS hungry!  They all picky little eaters too...they only eat coins! In this instant gratification world where I see far too many people wanting "stuff" that they have to have NOW and passing that mentality onto their kids I've decided to revert back to what I know for sure.....That saving for what you want isn't such a bad idea. I grew up working from the time I was 13. I paid for the two years of college by myself because half of every paycheck I earned went directly into my savings account.  I also want to teach our kids how to save, so we started our own little pig farm! 

The kids love taking any and all change we have, find or collect and "feeding" the pigs!  They love it so much that they each have their own piggy banks in their room now and just made their first trip to the bank to cash in all the savings. Each left the bank with almost $30 and they discussed what they could buy with their savings all the way home. They are also right back to saving more coins.  Not only is this serving the purpose of saving money for items we need and want, but it is also teaching our kids that instant gratification is just that...instant. And then what?  It makes them stop and think about their purchases and they realize the time and effort it takes to save for what they want.  It is also making them appreciate the things we have here at home and the things we are able to do and vacations and trips we get to take.

Sure I've made financial mistakes along the way (I mean, I was a poor college student practically having credit cards thrown at me!), but this is my way of learning from it and passing it along.

Can I get an "OINK! OINK?!".....Now go start your own pig farm and bring home the BACON!

No comments:

Post a Comment