Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

State-cation!

What does your state have to offer?  Before you hop on over to another state, try checking out your own!  The first place to go is the library. Check out travel books for your own state (don't forget to look for books on major cities in your state as well).  I grabbed all the Illinois books that I could as well as books about traveling to Chicago.

Another great place to start is to go online and search out places and things to do in your state. Pretend you are a tourist from another state and search online for places to explore and places to eat. The internet offers priceless information. You can find addresses, phone numbers, hours of operation, reviews, cost of admission, etc.  Don't stop there! Recently I was making plans to travel about an hour south to Bloomington, IL, so I went to good-ol'-Google.com and searched for "Bloomington Illinois"  I clicked on their tourist/visitor page and learned even more about the city I was planning on visiting. Then I saw that they had a tab for "Request More Information." Which lead me to a page where I could send away for their brochures, calendar of events, etc.  Two days later I got a big envelope in the mail from the city of Bloomington (I love them already!). I immediately noticed that they are very proud of their city by the beautiful brochure they sent me!  I also noticed that the brochure came with a coupon booklet. BONUS! So, my biggest advice of all when visiting a city..."Request More Information" (even for the town you live in!).


5 comments:

  1. I can tell I'm going to like this blog already! Looking forward to the kiddos in soccer together...it will give us time to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget city magazines when planning a trip--most larger (Chicago, Boston) and some mid-size (Louisville, Cincinnati) cities have them. Many of these publications do annual Best Restaurant or Best of the City features, and these can be very helpful for travelers. You can usually find these stories on the magazines' websites, or find the magazines themselves at your library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy ~ Looking forward to soccer as well! Glad to hear that the blog is something you will enjoy! trhanks for checking it out!

    Amanda ~ *GREAT* tip! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think about monetizing this blog? What better way to be thrifty but to make a couple extra bucks while helping others save cash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my next step! I have been slowly putting my blog together and wasn't sure if anyone would even care as much as I do about saving money (I kind of like the money I have and want to keep it and still have fun), but thought I would give it a whirl! Will get to that this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete